With 19 hospitals and nearly 950 staffed beds, Southern Illinois residents have access to outstanding healthcare. Over 40 specialties and sub-specialties are offered locally, allowing patients to receive advanced care without needing to leave the area. The healthcare system is anchored by 6 key health care systems and hospitals, 12 rural Critical Access Hospitals (CAH’s), and 4 Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC’s). In addition, collaborative partnerships with St. Louis area providers – including BJC HealthCare/Washington University in St. Louis – create enhanced access to academic research-based services at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children’s Hospital.
The Southern Illinois region is anchored by four key health care systems/hospitals offering advanced services:
- Southern Illinois Healthcare (SIH) is a not-for-profit health system serving the southernmost counties of Illinois with four hospitals (Carbondale, Harrisburg, Herrin, Murphysboro), a comprehensive cancer center, Level II Trauma Center and more than 30 outpatient and specialty practices. Based in Carbondale, Ill., SIH is the region’s largest private employer with 4,000 employees and the largest provider of charity care, unreimbursed care and community benefits.
- The SIH Medical Group includes over 300 community- and hospital-based physicians and advanced practice providers representing more than 40 specialties and 30 clinic locations.
- The SIH Cancer Institute is a dedicated cancer treatment center and is accredited by the Commission on Cancer for comprehensive cancer treatment and received an Outstanding Achievement Award by the Commission on Cancer from the American College of Surgeons.
- SIH is a member of the BJC Collaborative, a regional partnership among seven leading health systems in Illinois and Missouri and the Siteman Cancer Network. These partnerships create seamless pathways for SIH to collaborate with the world-renowned physicians, researchers, programs, and services at BJC HealthCare/Washington University in St. Louis.
- SIH’s Memorial Hospital of Carbondale serves as the region’s referral center – key features include:
- Level II Trauma Center
- Accredited Chest Pain Center
- Level II+ NICU
- Comprehensive cardiology and neuroscience programs
- General and Cardiac ICUs
- Partnership with Prairie Cardiovascular
- Affiliated with SIU School of Medicine through its Family Practice Residency Program
- High level surgical capabilities including minimally invasive daVinci technology
- Innovative maternal fetal telemedicine program with Barnes-Jewish Hospital/St. Louis Children’s Hospital/Washington University in St. Louis
Evansville, Indiana-based Deaconess Health System is a provider of health care services to 51 counties in Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois. The system consists of 18 wholly owned, joint ventured, sponsored or affiliated hospitals located in southern Indiana, southern Illinois and western Kentucky. Deaconess also has a fully integrated multispecialty group featuring primary care and specialty physicians; a freestanding cancer center, urgent care facilities, a network of preferred hospitals and doctors, more than 70 care sites, and multiple partnerships with other regional health care providers.
- Crossroads Community Hospital in Mt. Vernon is a 47-bed facility offering inpatient and outpatient care, diagnostic imaging, emergency services, and surgical care.
- Heartland Regional Medical Center in Marion is a 106-bed facility offering a comprehensive range of health and hospital services to the residents of the greater Williamson County, including diagnostic, medical, surgical, and emergency services.
- 29 specialty services
- Cardiac ICU, cardiopulmonary services, GI/endoscopy services, and minimally invasive DaVinci surgical technology
- Red Bud Regional Hospital is a 25-bed facility offering inpatient and outpatient care, emergency, medical and surgical services, rehabilitation, and diagnostic imaging. Connected to the hospital is a 115-bed skilled nursing facility.
- Union County Hospital is a 25-bed facility with inpatient and outpatient care including emergency, medical and surgical services.
- A 134-bed hospital recognized with a Citation of Merit Award for Outstanding Patient Care and affiliated with SSM Health – creating a seamless pathway for partnering with nearby SSM Health St. Mary’s and Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospitals in St. Louis. Key offerings include:
- Innovative NICU telemedicine program in conjunction with SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital
- Commission on Cancer Accredited oncology program
- Breast Imaging Center that is accredited by the American College of Radiology as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
- Comprehensive cardiac and neuroscience programs
- High level surgical capabilities including minimally invasive DaVinci technology
- A general medical and surgical facility that operates 55 acute care beds and a 60 bed community living center – the center provides care to over 40,000 veterans annually.